Should I Stay Or Should I Go?
All relationships have their ups and downs. One day you’re happy with it, and the next day you’re ready to leave it. But if you decide to call it quits, just make sure it’s not for the wrong reasons.
All relationships have their ups and downs. And sometimes you just don’t know whether to stick it out or say goodbye. It’s a frustrating and confusing part of the relationship journey.
I call it the “slot machine dilemma”. Picture the following scenario. You’re in a casino playing a slot machine. You keep putting in quarters, pulling the handlebar, and hoping to hit the jackpot. Intermittently you get some small payouts, and that’s one of the reasons why you’re still at that machine. But then you start to run out of quarters and wonder if you should cut your losses and try another machine, or stick with this one since you’re already invested in it. Slot machines, relationships……It’s a gamble.
A good relationship rule of thumb in this situation is if you’re unsure, give it a little more time and see what transpires. But if you decide to call it quits, just make sure it’s not for the wrong reasons. – Ask yourself the following questions.
* Am I just getting bored and craving something new?
* Am I afraid of getting dumped, so I’ll do the dumping?
* Am I repeating a familiar pattern?
* Am I focusing on what he/she is “not”, instead of what he/she “is”?
* Am I being influenced by someone other than myself?
* Am I not giving him/her a fair chance, and communicating my needs?
* Am I still hung up on someone else?
* Am I going through something that has nothing to do with him/her?
* Am I overreacting to a specific incident?
* Am I taking the easy way out by not working on the relationship?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you might want to hold off on ending your relationship. It might be better than you think.